Re: [Hampshire] "Gnome 2 is dead" (Was Re: Ubuntu Unity - Da…

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Gnome 2 is dead" (Was Re: Ubuntu Unity - Dash - context lists)

> From all of that I was under the impression that "sticking with
> Gnome Classic" was not really a long-term option, it would be either
> Unity, Gnome 3 or a completely different desktop environment.

There is MATE which seems to work well but I don't like the idea of
sticking with a desktop that does not have a groundswell of support behind
it.

From my point-of-view, I'm starting to feel like if I do not move to Unity
or Gnome then I will be a "2nd class citizen" (eg. are Dropbox really going
to keep Gnome 2.x in mind when maintaining their desktop app? Let alone
future services and apps from other providers). For this reason I'll
probably switch to Gnome 3 when Squeeze updates dry up or evaluate Unity
again on the next Ubuntu LTS release.

Right now I think it is Gnome 3 but I've been encouraged by reports of
users on this list in adapting to Unity so who knows which way I'll jump :-)

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F
http://about.me/imranchaudhry