Re: [Hampshire] PC won't boot

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PC won't boot
Hi,

Tim <tim@???> wrote:

>problems seems to be related to dhcp. On my PC (Debian Mint) I edited
>the /etc/network/interfaces file to move the network card from dhcp to
>static and my pc was able to boot up properly. As I was busy with other

I've seen similar strange problems on networks if DHCP servers get reset. Many clients keep a non-volatile copy of their DHCP lease data and at startup go "I've got 6 days left on the last lease I had, no need to go through the negotiation process again until renewal time"

If you have a domestic quality DHCP server that doesn't keep a record of its leases across a reboot I've seen the following happen: Client that was either on a UPS or kept it's lease on disc reboots and takes the old address it had. Router has left it's lease table and hands out that address to the first client that does ask, believing it to be free. Brokenness ensues, particularly of one of the above machines provides a known service across the network.

Can you forcibly make every device that it's on DHCP renew?

Cheers,
Paul.