Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Southampton Hackerspace Survey

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Southampton Hackerspace Survey
Hi Tim,

Sounds like you make some very interesting stuff! I'll certainly be sure to
post here again when we're having a show and tell event if you'd be
interested in presenting something you've done?

Our intention is to set up a dedicated space where members can come and go
as they please 24/7 (or as close to that as we can manage) and use any of
the resources in the space to work on their projects or collaborate with
other members. Ultimately we'd like the space to have everything you would
need to create things, for example: welders, sanders, various tools, CNC
machines, 3D printing/RepRap machines, soldering irons, sewing machines, a
darkroom, projector, computers, cables, electronic components, etc etc etc.
What we actually put in the space (if/when we get one) will depend on where
the interests of the paying members lie, how much money the space has spare
after rent/bills and what the space itself allows (e.g. ventilation, health
and safety, etc).

The space is also likely to run events such as you suggest (for members and
non-members alike), and these events are likely to focus on a wide range of
topics. It'll be a long time before we have anything comparable to
Noisebridge in San Francisco (they have the implicit advantage of being
based in tech/creator heavy San Fran after all!) but you might be
interested in having a look at their site to imagine what we might offer:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge

Personally, I'm interested in learning to do all sorts of electrical things
(I don't know much more than my GCSE electronics taught me, and most of
that I've forgotten) - especially remote control robots and (even better)
autonomous ones.

You might consider discussing some of your projects on the SoHa mailing
list - especially the more technical parts that you think might bore
HantsLUG members ;)

Cheers,

Benjie.