[Hampshire] Toshiba laptop battery drain

Author: Steve Wesemeyer
To: Hants LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Toshiba laptop battery drain
Hi,

Apologies to people who are also on the Surrey mailing list as they have
already seen this email...

My main question is:

Is there a way to shutdown linux guaranteeing that all components are
fully powered off?

Some background:

I have a Toshiba laptop (Satellite R830) which I installed Scientific
Linux 6.3 on.
As the laptop is fairly new, some of the components (bluetooth, SD card
slot) only work with fairly new kernels rather than the one supplied
with SL 6.3. Consequently, I'm running the elrepo ml kernel which works
well.

So far so good... Now the problem is the following:

I noticed in the last few days that there is a significant battery drain
after I completely shutdown (not sleep!) the laptop. (30% or more in the
space of 12 hours).

After a bit of googling, I found that this seems to be a problem with a
few laptops and linux and one of the reasons is that the network port
was left enabled to provide wake-on-lan support.

As a result, I added "ethtool -s eth0 wol d" to my rc.local start-up
script which disabled that functionality. (Curiously, this was already
disabled in the BIOS but was apparently ignored by the kernel).

Having done that, the battery drain was reduced considerably to about 5%
overnight.

However, when I reboot instead of shutdown and then press the power
button at the grub menu to power off, the battery drain is down to
pretty much zero. Similarly, shutting down from Windows results in no
battery drain as well.

So this leads me to believe that there is another culprit somewhere
which does not get powered off completely when shutdown is called.

I have checked the wake-on-lan support for wlan and it's reported as
disabled.

The Toshiba laptop comes also with a sleep and charge functionality
which allows phones and similar devices to be charged from the laptop
even when it's switched off but again I disabled that in the BIOS and
from within Windows and indeed none of the ports seems to charge my
phone when the laptop is shutdown.

So my question is... what other way is there to shutdown linux and be
sure that it really is fully powered down? Or what other settings can be
called to power off components completely?

Unfortunately my google-foo has deserted me on this hence the email...

Thanks for any suggestions...

Kind regards,
Steve