Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers
On 08/08/12 11:00, john lewis wrote:
> But a bit chunky for backpacking/wilderness camping. My petrol fueled
> stove is a quarter the size, but it did mean having to carry a sigg
> fuel bottle as well. Finding somewhere to purchase small quantities of
> unleaded fuel gave us problems when backpacking in Switzerland in the
> 60s and we ended up scrounging from a Swiss Army unit who were on
> annual manoeuvres in the hills somewhere between Zweisimmen and
> Fribourg. We actually had to get permission to continue on our planned
> route as well because it went through the middle of their training
> area!

Hi John,

I have just been introduced to the wonderful world of Trangia stoves,
which generally run on meths but I am told will burn a number of other
fuels as well, including gas with a conversion.

We're off to Annecy shortly, but will be using the palatial Outwell
6-person tent my wife insisted on buying plus a two-ring gas stove for
cooking.

> The thing is - camping used to equate to the simple life and things
> like tech gadgets didn't have any place in that scheme of things.

When we (my mates an I) go out wild camping we take phones and cameras,
sleep under bashas or in bivi bags and cook on the Trangias.

When I go with the family it is a somewhat less lightweight affair but
great fun all the same.

> Though I have to admit that I did acquire a basic mobile phone some
> years later for emergency use whilst mountain biking, having got caught
> out leading a group miles from anywhere and a rider needed medical
> assistance. Emergency use is still the only reason I have a mobile
> phone today.

My phone also gets used for navigation and tracking, but I rarely if
ever get called on it so it doesn't intrude on walks etc.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk