Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Universal Car Chargers
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 22:30:37 +0100
Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:

> On 07/08/12 21:51, Samuel Penn wrote:
>

> > And then there's this:
> >
> > http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/
>
> That looks interesting!

But a bit chunky for backpacking/wilderness camping. My petrol fueled
stove is a quarter the size, but it did mean having to carry a sigg
fuel bottle as well. Finding somewhere to purchase small quantities of
unleaded fuel gave us problems when backpacking in Switzerland in the
60s and we ended up scrounging from a Swiss Army unit who were on
annual manoeuvres in the hills somewhere between Zweisimmen and
Fribourg. We actually had to get permission to continue on our planned
route as well because it went through the middle of their training
area!

The thing is - camping used to equate to the simple life and things
like tech gadgets didn't have any place in that scheme of things.

Though I have to admit that I did acquire a basic mobile phone some
years later for emergency use whilst mountain biking, having got caught
out leading a group miles from anywhere and a rider needed medical
assistance. Emergency use is still the only reason I have a mobile
phone today.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server