Re: [Hampshire] Online chat with Mark Shuttleworth

Author: Gordon Scott
To: alan.pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Online chat with Mark Shuttleworth
Hi Alan,

On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 13:28 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 05/07/12 11:16, Gordon Scott wrote:
> > Not so long ago the login screen had an 'desktop chooser' option on it,
> > so if you preferred a different WM than the 'standard', you just chose
> > it there. I was disappointed that that had gone
>
> No, it hasn't. The option to select which desktop to use at logon time
> is there and always has been in every release.
>
> Cheers,

That statement a surprise, so I checked again.
No option on the login pop-up, no option on the toolbar.

If he says it's there, it must need enabling somehow.

Try selecting the user to get the password box and look around again.
No option on the pop-up; Oh .. there's stuff on the toolbar.

I'd never, ever, noticed any of it, presumably because when they appear,
I'm looking at the password box and I have to say that they're not
exactly conspicuous. On my large screens, it's out of my main field of
view. These are little grey boxes several inches away from the pop-up
where they used to be. I saw them _only_ because I was actively looking
around for them.

Those options are there for about two seconds whilst I'm looking
elsewhere, then are gone (in 10.04-LTS, anyway). Even knowing that
they're there, if I'm looking at the login pop-up, they're virtually
invisible. Presumably they've been down there since I upgraded to
10.04.LTS.

I guess 11.11 or whatever it was is similar?

I do though also this highlights again why a multi-screen desktop and a
tablet are very different animals.

My apologies for saying it wasn't there, I was mistaken.
However, I plead mitigation.

Gordon.