Re: [Hampshire] Online chat with Mark Shuttleworth

Author: alan c
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Online chat with Mark Shuttleworth
On 05/07/12 11:16, Gordon Scott wrote:
> Not so long ago the login screen had an 'desktop chooser' option on it,
> so if you preferred a different WM than the 'standard', you just chose
> it there. I was disappointed that that had gone (I'm sure I could find
> how to restore it, but didn't .. life's too short), so went with the
> flow and used Gnome.

I believe the MyUnity app (from the Ubuntu Software Centre) happens to
include a Gnome session, with or without effects, and is accessed, as
other WMs would be, via a click on the Ubuntu logo in the corner of
the login window.

> I first met Unity when trying to get an urgent job done.

Not a good time to meet something so radically different, sympathies.
I played with Unity a while but steadfastly continued using Ubuntu
10.04 LTS until I was ready to give 12.04 a bit of time. It repays the
effort, and although it is hard to describe, I have a clear and
increasing like of Unity. When first presented with it though, without
a 'Help' function visible (!) it is hard work for anything but initial
use.
Help:
Super key>Dash> help
drag 'help' to the launcher, right click to fix in launcher.

The neat way in which Unity manages multiple windows completely
escaped me for a couple of months....., but is now in regular use. :-)

--
alan cocks