Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 10:24:23 +0100
Chris Liddell <cjl@???> wrote:

> Having said that, as a developer on a moderately important piece of
> software for the Unix/Linux world, and being responsible for the
> releases of that software, my experience doesn't encourage me to
> believe there's much "listening" going on in the Ubuntu camp. When I
> contacted some members of the Ubuntu release committee last year (at
> the behest of the Ubuntu package maintainer), I didn't even receive
> an acknowledgement back - which I felt was pretty poor.

In contrast I had problems with a new version of a software application
I am using all day, everyday - namely GeneWeb.

The original developer hadn't done any work on it for several years
and in the end said that he was unable for various reasons to upgrade
it.

At the beginning of this year the development was taken over by
someone else and a new version was released which looked very
different to the original.

I hated the new look (more importantly a few of the regular users of my
database didn't like it either) so I complained bitterly, so much so
that I nearly got banned from posting ;-(

However the new developer obviously _was_ listening and a few weeks
back I was able to do a tweak to the config file which re-enabled the
'classic' look.

This is possible because GeneWeb has always had the ability to use
templates to modify the look of the interface and the developer had
created a new template which restored the original look, although he
had originally said we had to accept the change in appearance.

So I, and anyone else that prefers the old way can have it but
underneath that skin any new goodies the developers introduce will be
available.

This may be analogous to what has happened with the Debian version of
Gnome3. Of course the change from Gnome2 to Gnome3 was a lot more
complicated than just a change in appearance.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server