Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Leszek Kobiernicki 1
To: alan.pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 02/07/12 07:46, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 02/07/12 01:20, pavithran wrote:
>> Why should it be close to mac for new users who lets presume are
>> coming from windows world ? Or is the "new" target audience the
>> disgruntled mac users or people who want to use mac but can't afford
>> it ?
>>

> I wouldn't presume that users are coming from either Mac or Windows.
> For many users of Ubuntu this is their first computer. Especially in
> markets like China and India where we have hundreds of Ubuntu branded
> Dell stores.
>
> Cheers,

Where the software houses have global reach, they do seem to be, in the
process, discounting the old faithfuls - the priorities are shifting ..

Anticipated new so-called 3W users, may not necessarily engage in the
long & drawn-out process of helping to shape constructive feedback

For that, one needs an established long-running userbase in the
so-called 1W & 2Ws, committed to software of choice, for its immediate
enabling power to do the work one wants to produce !

... which is currently coming under the misguided influence of
Global-MegaCorp's desire to take control away from userland, & to assume
a total responsibility for all service delivery, which, I anticipate,
isn't do-able, & will, almost certainly, make an ass out of U & me, when
stuff goes down ( as it always will: I saw plenty of that in the
military, & multinational companies )

It isn't going to be the corporations which will suffer. Their cadres
are paid to look after their interests. Always it's the laddie or lass,
at the end of the chain, who gets the chocolate-covered end of the stick

I contend that the underlying strategic vision is flawed. It is we, all
the end users, who ought to be acquiring/gaining ever greater
empowerment, in transparency of our use of the software. It is this
which is the central bone of contention .. which the corps. don't seem
to be able to address

We ought not to have to accommodate our honourable selves to a corporate
line of sponsorship of, or compliance with, strategic outreach marketing
& forward sales-on-a-promise anticipations, which companies now
prioritize, in the effort to stay afloat, as the 1W countries' markets
became saturated in the 1990s

" If it ain't broke, don't fix it " - popular proverb among technical
people. And, of course, " The customer is always right ": old business
saying

I've heard nothing on this list, to persuade me that the software houses
know better than the users, what they ( the users ) need, or want - or
will do so, in the future. New ( eg. I-Pad )
device-driven/market-driven thinking, is not user-driven, but
corporate-centred

What the software houses are concerned about, is market share - an
impossible dream of empire-building, which never seems to deliver to
them, quite what it appears to promise ..

Their interests are no longer ours. They aren't amateur users any
more. Now, they've achieved promotion, to the status & power of
professionals, steering & directing things, IAW their own horizons &
concerns ..

Prove me wrong .. !

Lesz
--
" The power of this life, if men will open their hearts to it, will heal
them, will create them anew, physically and spiritually. Here is the
gospel of earth, ringing with hope, like May mornings with bird-song,
fresh and healthy as fields of young grain. But those who would be
healed must absorb it not only into their bodies in daily food and
warmth but into their minds, because its spiritual power is more
intense. It is not reasonable to suppose that an essence so divine and
mysterious as life can be confined to material things; therefore, if our
bodies need to be in touch with it so do our minds. The joy of a spring
day revives a man's spirit, reacting healthily on the bone and the
blood, just as the wholesome juices of plants cleanse the body, reacting
on the mind. Let us join in the abundant sacrament--for our bodies the
crushed gold of harvest and ripe vine-clusters, for our souls the purple
fruit of evening with its innumerable seed of stars ". Vis Medicatrix
Naturae, by Mary Webb, in Spring of Joy: Nature Essays, Constable,
London, 1917 "