Re: [Hampshire] My 2p on the GUI 'Wars'

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] My 2p on the GUI 'Wars'
Very much with you on this, guys. Touchscreens have thier place, notably for
small displays or kiosks (or other places where separate mice etc. are
impractical), and the GUI design does change to suit them - as it should.

However, the rest of the time (in my case, as near to "all the time" as makes
no odds) I use a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Now, I may be told that this is
archaic, but it's actually a pretty good solution which is quick and accurate.
And this allows for small icons, and more "real-estate" for programs.

Another thought, you remember the way that RiscOS (particularly 3.7) handled
applications? a folder with a ! at the start of the name? and a toolbox of
applications on the iconbar? Let's revisit that. That system was nice.

At the moment, I'm glad that I'm using KDE. It seems to be an island of sanity
in a sea of "who can out-do each other" lunacy.

My 2p.

Tim B.