Re: [Hampshire] My 2p on the GUI 'Wars'

Author: John Cooper
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] My 2p on the GUI 'Wars'
On 01/07/12 22:19, Stephen Davies wrote:
> As a professional software developer who has been writing programms
> since the days of Card Decks, George 3 , SOFOR and paper tape, I find
> this latest craze on desktops (Gnome 3, Unity & Windows 8) rather
> depressing.
>
> (Ignoring the 'touchy feely' of touchscreens that everyone seems to rave
> ove these days)
> If they had been around at the birth of GUI/Windowing systems I would
> have understood them.
> Now IMHO, this searching and every icon on the desktop idea is frankly
> so silly, it beggars belief.
>
> In 'no' work mode, I use (like most people ) a set of apps that number
> no more than say 10. Email, Web, Skype, Bittorrent etc
> I could live with the methodology of the new interfaces if I could have
> the old menus for those times that I need something out of the ordinary
> and have ho idea of the executable or icon but I know it belongs in a
> group associated with a product. A hice hierarcihial tree structure.
> Very Logical.

I have now got used to Gnome 3 and can understand why they have moved on
(I started using Unix 28 years ago). The hierarchical menu system is
just old hat now and a more common interface for mobiles and PCs makes
sense. Just type what you are looking for and the icons appear, like
email or internet. There are some annoyances but I'm sure these will be
fixed in later builds. The gone-shell-extensions Application Menu can
add the old system back for the die-hards. The interface is aimed at
simplicity and I'm sure new users will find it easier to use.

John.