Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 13:11, john lewis wrote:
> So we are left with an interface that is designed for a different
> audience than quite a few of us who have been following this
> thread.

That's a reasonable assumption, yeah. "People who walk into shops and
buy computers and just use what's installed on them" probably doesn't
describe anyone on this list I'd imagine :)

> My mode of working is that once logged in I only open half-dozen apps*
> and have each app maximised in its own separate work place and use
> Ctrl-left or right arrow key (or the mouse) to move between them.

I do the same in Ubuntu with Unity. :) The Unity launcher looks very
like the launcher I've seen on your laptop. Big icons in a list :)

> (OK I am aware there is an app that gives (sort of) this functionality
> to XP).

Yeah, in my previous job some of the sysadmins used that app. It worked
okay but wasn't as good as the original unix/linux way.

> So maybe I'm in a minority of one in the way I work, but I'm not alone
> in not liking the current trend in GUIs. And as for it being easy to
> get used to a new way of working why should we have to?

You don't. As I pointed out there's plenty of options. Personally as i
said I don't see much future in Mate, Cinnamon or GNOME Fallback. Some
people (not you) are happy to flip desktop any time one doesn't fulfil
exactly their requirements. You've found a desktop and workflow you're
happy with, as have I :) Each to their own.

> A common reason given as to why businesses are reluctant to upgrade
> between versions of windows is the cost of retraining staff to use a new
> interface.

Indeed, yet those business went from Windows 3 to Windows 9x to Windows
XP to Windows 7. Every company I've worked in that has done that
transition has not done anywhere near the amount of 'retraining' that
they claim happens. It's mostly just "hey, here's your new
laptop/desktop, figure it out yourself.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope