Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 12:50, Vic wrote:
> "The test machine was a Lenovo ThinkPad T410i running Ubuntu Natty with
> unity 3.8.2-0ubuntu1 and compiz 1:0.9.4git20110322-0ubuntu5."
>
> So it's not a side-by-side test to see which model users prefer, it's a
> simplistic "can they use this model?"

That's not the goal of our testing. Anyone is free to setup a test such
as the one you describe and publish their results. I look forward to
seeing the results.

> test. Like I said, that will give
> you skewed results; that later improvements help users to use the
> unfamiliar model does not make that model the one those users would choose
> if they actually had a free choice.

And GNOME 2 has been a raging hit with our target market over the last 7
years? No. People haven't chosen GNOME 2, that's the point. A small
number of highly technical users have chosen it.

>> That specific point is tricky given upstream GNOME project have
>> abandoned GNONME 2.
>
> I thought Ubuntu was all about making Linux useful for Joe Average?

s/Joe Average/anyone/ , but yes.

> If, as
> is my belief, Gnome2 is the more usable interface, that would seem to
> imply that it should be forked and continued.

It has. I'm sure they would appreciate your valuable contributions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_%28desktop_environment%29

> Again, my profuse apologies
> if I have inappropriately inferred some sense of trying to assist users in
> the meaning of "enhance the initial experience of new Ubuntu users" from
> the Mission Statement at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/MissionStatement. I likewise
> apologise if I have inadvertently indferred some sort of insult in the
> term "neck beard" bandied around earlier in this thread.

I merely used it as mildly humorous shorthand for technically competent,
well versed, Linux-experienced experts, as opposed to the 'normals'.
Apologies if it offends you. I won't use it again.

>> https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg07682.html
>
> Talk about window dodging. Not really about G2/Unity.

You asked for a citation when I said we listen. I gave you examples of
how we listen. They may not be the specific questions to which you want
answers, but they do address the point that we listen. Just because we
listen also doesn't mean we have to agree or action your opinion/points.

>> http://tinyurl.com/76npbtp
> A bug tracker. Unique...

*sigh*

>> https://errors.ubuntu.com/
>
> And a graph from it. How many bugs are cleared out because they have
> become stale, rather than being fixed? I notice that a bug I filed is no
> longer showing against the package, despite another page telling me its
> status is "confirmed". And I gave the fix in the bug report (back in
> 2008).

Bug number?

>> We also get verbal feedback from people.
>
> Do you call them all "neck beards"?

No, usually "Hey you! douchebag! Use Unity, don't complain, everyone
loves it, you're a minority, gnome is dead" etc. etc.

>> So yeah, we do listen.
>
> Selective listening really doesn't cut the mustard, I'm afraid.

Contrary to what you might think we _have_ heard this argument about
GNOME 2 before. It doesn't make you right, and frankly Unity is our
choice for the future of our desktop. If you don't like it, don't use
it, if you want to change it, contribute. Lobbing tomatoes from the
sidelines helps _nobody_.

>> Unless all someone has to say is "it sucks" in which case Linux Mint /
>> Debian / Fedora etc are -> that way.
>
> It's easy to hear exactly that when someone is telling you something you
> don't want to hear, even if the actual words used are decidedly different.

You seem to think that your opinion is the only one we should should
take notice of. News flash for you. You're just one dude on the internet
with an opinion and an email client, there's a lot of them about, and
unsurprisingly they don't agree with eachother.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager