Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 10:38, Vic wrote:
> Just because Gnome3 and Unity do it a different way, doesn't make it the
> right way.

A convincing argument for GNOME 2 you have there.

> It would be really nice to have this discussion occasionally without being
> told we're just wrong for wanting the old metaphor that has evolved over
> many years, rather than the new and largely unproven one that's
> "trendy"...

Reducing it down to 'them and us' doesn't help, it's not as simple as
that. Although someone probably has to be wrong, and sure, it could be us.

We do regular user testing with people (pretty much) off the street and
that helps to feed back to our design and development processes.
Sometimes they discover things with Unity that surprises us, and makes
us change the way the desktop works. One example of that was the
launcher dodging windows when they were brought near.

We welcome new designs for features and behaviours & suggestions for new
or changed behaviour on our Unity design mailing list, and irc channels.

If someone flat out doesn't like it and wants to use another desktop
there's not much we can do, but if someone things we're wrong and they
know the 'right' way and can articulate it in a meaningful and
respectful (i.e. not just telling us it sucks) then we'll listen.

We do listen, we may be wrong, time will tell.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager