Re: [Hampshire] Support for touchscreens

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Support for touchscreens
On Friday 22 June 2012 23:29:46 john lewis wrote:
> I had a very brief acquaintance with the ipod so this isn't even the
> beginning of a real review but my first impression is that it is a
> nice (expensive) toy but not really serious computing kit.

What does this even mean? What is "serious computing kit"? Were you
expecting to be able to run a climate modelling application on it?
Or maybe just run a web server for a small business?

There seems to be a very strange attitude of "it's not a real computer"
that come from some people in the IT community when talking about
tablets (or even laptops in some cases). If it's "not a real computer",
then it's a toy with no practical purpose.

Tablets are not PCs. They're not meant to be PCs. They're a mobile
device that is meant to make consumption of information easier in
situations where lugging around a PC (or even a laptop) isn't practical
(marketing blurb from certain companies may differ from reality a little
bit here).

If I'm on the train, reading/responding to email on a PC isn't
possible, and even a laptop is awkward. In meetings, they're great
for taking simple notes on, or browsing information, without the
anti-social aspect of everyone having a laptop screen sticking up
in front of them. They're easy to carry around the house, or outside
(my Android tablet is great when I do astrophotography, for helping
to find objects, and controlling my cameras) - it's a completely
different niche they fill compared to a PC or laptop.

Given the rate at which the hardware and software is improving on
tablets, and given what I can do with my phone now[1], it's not
going to be long before the difference between mobile devices and
PCs starts to become very blurred indeed (especially if Ubuntu
starts shipping on such devices).

[1] https://plus.google.com/u/0/106447163250994392861/posts/dMWbJd6iiEL

--
Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/