Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Microphones for a PPC Mac Mini

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Microphones for a PPC Mac Mini

> The SM58 isn't the only mic out there
> but its the defacto vocal mic in the business.

Hmmm. It's certainly popular, but I wouldn't go as far as "de facto". I
think it's over-hyped and over-priced.

For stage vocals[1], I always preferred a PL80 over an SM58. It gives
excellent sensitivity at close range - which is what my artists always
seemed to want - but minimises background pickup (so howlround is less of
a problem).

My advice would be to try out a few different mics - they can be borrowed,
SORed, or hired quite cheaply. Once you've found the "right" mic for you,
that's all there is to it (no matter how good, bad, or indifferent the
thing might actually be).

Vic.

[1] For studio vocals, the Neumann 87 has got to be my personal favourite.
But there's no way I'd put that into the hands of anyone but a trained &
insured sound engineer :-)