Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Microphones for a PPC Mac Mini

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Microphones for a PPC Mac Mini
On 16/06/12 10:51, Vic wrote:
>> > I recently grabbed one of Stephen Davies' PPC Mac Minis for my son, who
>> > sings in a couple of choirs and would like to record his voice at home
>> > using Garageband.
> If he's serious about singing, you should really consider getting a decent
> microphone. Don't worry too much about how to interface to the PC - that
> can come later. Getting decent audio capture is crucial - if you've
> recorded mush, no amount of reprocessing is going to get back what you
> didn't get to start with.

He's very serious about his singing Vic - he's just completed the 2nd
year of his Performance degree - but not so much about the recording
aspect, at least not yet!

I think he wants to dabble and has been told by friends that Garageband
is a good place to start for amateurs. However, that represents
something of an investment if you have to go out and buy a new Macbook
or whatever, so I am hoping to give him a flavour of it on the cheap so
he can make an informed decision about going that route, if that's what
he eventually wants to do.

>> > He knows little about the recording process and I know considerably less
>> > (!), so we are both a little stumped when it comes at getting sound in
>> > to the first generation Mini on account of there only being one port,
>> > which I believe doubles up for line in and line out.
> According tohttp://support.apple.com/kb/SP65 , that connector is probably
> just a line-out.
>
> You can get USB audio devices which work quite well. I've got one from
> Griffin, which seems to work quite well. I've no idea what's on the market
> now - I know mine has been obsoleted...

Okay, I did wonder about the feasibility of combining the two in one
socket, and thought USB would probably be the way to go so I will
probably pursue that.

Thanks for input (Leshy and Vic), I'll post back if I have any luck.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk