Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Microphones for a PPC Mac Mini

Author: Leszek Kobiernicki 1
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Microphones for a PPC Mac Mini
On 16/06/12 09:44, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Morning All,
>
> I recently grabbed one of Stephen Davies' PPC Mac Minis for my son,
> who sings in a couple of choirs and would like to record his voice at
> home using Garageband.
>
> He knows little about the recording process and I know considerably
> less (!), so we are both a little stumped when it comes at getting
> sound in to the first generation Mini on account of there only being
> one port, which I believe doubles up for line in and line out.
>
> Anyway, I am guessing that it is possible to buy USB microphones but
> have little or no idea about compatibility, availability or indeed
> suitability.
>
> Also, being relatively new to Apple hardware I am similarly clueless
> when it comes to the best forum to post this question in. So, if
> anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, or failing that,
> knows the best place to ask this question, I'd be very grateful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sean

If you're talking about a single USB port, then a USB switch might help
with data lines ..

You can pick them up at computer spares fairs, boot sales, & the like (
or perhaps MAPL:INS in Portsmouth/RS in Southampton )

There used to be a Sunday morning computer fair at Lord Nelson's school
in Hilsea ( Portsmouth )

Input devices such as mikes need to be matched in terms of
millivolts/milliamps to the original motherboard specifications for your
box: I would look for those on a decent search engine ( I use
https://startpage.com, which does NOT record your ISP address,
customized in Firefox through > Settings ( top right hand corner ) >
Generate URL, copied into . Preferences > HomePage & saved )

Not been for several years, though, so it might have been moved by now

Hope this helps

Leshy
--
" The power of this life, if men will open their hearts to it, will heal
them, will create them anew, physically and spiritually. Here is the
gospel of earth, ringing with hope, like May mornings with bird-song,
fresh and healthy as fields of young grain. But those who would be
healed must absorb it not only into their bodies in daily food and
warmth but into their minds, because its spiritual power is more
intense. It is not reasonable to suppose that an essence so divine and
mysterious as life can be confined to material things; therefore, if our
bodies need to be in touch with it so do our minds. The joy of a spring
day revives a man's spirit, reacting healthily on the bone and the
blood, just as the wholesome juices of plants cleanse the body, reacting
on the mind. Let us join in the abundant sacrament--for our bodies the
crushed gold of harvest and ripe vine-clusters, for our souls the purple
fruit of evening with its innumerable seed of stars ". Vis Medicatrix
Naturae, by Mary Webb, in Spring of Joy: Nature Essays, Constable,
London, 1917 "