Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law
On 27/05/12 09:58, Chris Dennis wrote:
> On 25/05/12 11:22, Tony Whitmore wrote:
>> I've seen the news articles about the new laws concerning cookies[1].
>> From what I can tell from the ICO website[1] there is no exemption from
>> this law for personal or non-profit making websites.
>>
>> A brief check of my personal website shows 7 cookies are being set as a
>> result of using Wordpress and Google Analytics. Accordingly it seems I
>> should be advising users of these cookies, giving them a chance to
>> consent and change their mind.
>>
>> So, has everyone else done this? ;)
>
> Err, no. But wordpress.org says "there are cookies for logged in users
> and for commenters", so it should be OK for a site where the average
> user just views the pages. One could try arguing that a user who
> interacts with a site by logging in or adding a comment should expect
> cookies to be involved.

Some further testing has shown that all the cookies that weren't being
set by Analytics were being set by Wordpress plugins rather than
Wordpress itself. Anti-spam plugins and "share me" buttons seemed to
generate them. Wordpress itself only set any cookies after the logging in.

I've browsed a few pages on the site, but still can't be sure I've
"caught" them all. It shows how much hard work it's going to be to
generate and maintain a listing of cookies used on the site...

Tony