Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The Cookie Law
On 25 May 2012 11:22, Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:
> I've seen the news articles about the new laws concerning cookies[1]. From
> what I can tell from the ICO website[1] there is no exemption from this law
> for personal or non-profit making websites.
>
> A brief check of my personal website shows 7 cookies are being set as a
> result of using Wordpress and Google Analytics. Accordingly it seems I
> should be advising users of these cookies, giving them a chance to consent
> and change their mind.

In my view, any law that states a technical solution is flawed.
It stifles innovation. You invent a new way of doing something, but
you cannot deploy/sell it because the law says you have to use the old
technology.
The law should instead maybe used terms like "The user should not be
tracked unless consent is given."
If you take the example of another law stating a technical solution,
"Child seats".
The law states that children under the age of X must be placed in a
raised child seat.
Or, at least something along those lines.
I saw an invention that would permit all seats in the car to safely
hold children, without any need for extra raised child seats.
It was proven to be safe, but they were prevented from selling it, or
introducing it, pre-installed, in new cars, because it did not fit the
description in the Law.
If the law had instead stated that "All devices whose purpose is to
safely hold children under the size of X in a car must be tested and
approved by organization X before sale".
In this way, if a new innovation came along, and organization X
recognized that it did hold the child securely and safely in the car,
it would be approved, without changing the law.

Another example is catalytic converters in cars.
The engine technology now days means that cars would actually output
less pollution if the catalytic converter was not fitted, but
catalytic converters are the law. If they had instead stated in the
law that pollution measures should be less than X, everyone would now
be outputting a lot less pollution than they do now.

Kind Regards

James