Re: [Hampshire] Quiet and cool PC running?

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Quiet and cool PC running?
On May 1, 2012 5:18 PM, "Imran Chaudhry" <ichaudhry@???> wrote:

> These days I'm doing more development work at the PC. I'm noticing the

fan noise from my PC becoming more intrusive and I'm also finding it
running hot even when idle. I have tried different thermal compound (Artic
Silver 5) application methods with two different standard Intel
fan/heatsinks but I cannot seem to keep the temperature down and thus the
fan noise to an acceptable level. The CPU is a 3Ghz P4 which are known to
produce a lot of heat so this may just be normal operation.

> Having given up making this set-up quiet and wanting something with a bit

more horsepower, I want to upgrade to something quieter. I'm planning to
buy a motherboard bundle from eBay that features a Core 2 Duo (eg. E6750)
as I understand that these run much cooler. As for the fan I was thinking
of fitting an aftermarket CPU cooler, has anyone got any experience with
the Zalman type fan such as this:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=164
> Do they really make a difference?
>
> Thanks!

It depends what you are doing with it. You could use a thin client to
connect to your faster pc. Put the pc far away from you so the noise does
not matter.
I do this when writing software or processing data sets. Let a fast remote
system do the hard work needing the fans etc.

James