Re: [Hampshire] Defective laptop

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Defective laptop
On 05/02/12 13:48, Jon Wilks wrote:
> I have an Acer 8730ZG laptop that is about 2 years old but is no longer
> working and I am after some ideas as to what to do with it as it is not
> economic to repair it. It is basically dead (power light goes on when
> plugged in but pressing power switch does nothing). I have had 2 repair
> shops look at it and the first (Comet repairs) wanted to swap out the
> mother board at a cost of about £300 and the second (laptoprepair.co.uk)
> say that the motherboard is beyond repair.
>
> It seems a shame to just take it down the dump. Any ideas?
>
> Jonny.

Were I within reasonable travelling distance I'd be tempted to take it
along to RapidPCs in Christchurch, although I appreciate that not
everyone is and a few hours worth of travel and petrol makes any repair
less viable and attractive.

Another option is to look out a similar model going for spares-or-repair
on ebay and combine the two into one decent machine.

Failing all of that offer it up as spares-or-repair on ebay with a good
a description of the issue; I have sold stuff on that basis and got
surprisingly good prices for it.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk