Re: [Hampshire] Android VPN clients

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Android VPN clients
On 12 January 2012 17:36, Daniel Llewellyn <diddledan@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 17:32, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:
>
>> OK, I've finally taken the plunge and jumped on the Android smartphone
>> bandwaggon - thanks for all the suggestions, I went for something
>> completely
>> different when the economics of contracts came into play!
>>
>> Anyway, having played with it for a while I am now looking for a VPN
>> client
>> that will hook into a Linux based VPN (specifically that used by DD-WRT
>> which I
>> now run on an old Virgin supplied D-Link router I picked up of Freegle and
>> reflashed). Most seem to talk about rooting the device which I haven't
>> read up
>> on. It sounds like fun, but I've no idea how it impacts warranty, etc.
>> having
>> not read up on it yet!
>

> As far as I'm aware rooting your device will void any warranty.

It will indeed, however in the event of catastrophic damage / failure, it's
pretty hard to determine if it was rooted since it won't boot. If it's not
terminally damaged then you can usually unroot it by restoring to factory
rom. Check if you really need to root it before you do though, as said
elsewhere the builtin VPN offerings will serve most needs.

> Onto to the question, my galaxy-s2 has PPTP and L2TP or L2TP/IPSec vpn
> capability as part of the OS (Android 2.3.5). It can be configured through
> Settings->Wireless and Network->VPN settings.

I've had a tab for almost 3 months now - the only VPN which I have problems
with is the Cisco AnyConnect junk. If you have a self certified SSL cert
anywhere in the CA chain it absolutely refuses to proceed - there is no
option to accept the risk. It's a pain in my case because my employer has
decided to adopt AnyConnect as standard for VPN connections as it can be
managed by Active Directory, thus the admin is outsourced to the 3rd party
office IT (Windows) guys and since we are a Linux shop we don't deal with
that ourselves (until it breaks).

YMMV.

Jack Knight