Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment

Author: Ian Grody
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment
On Sunday 01 January 2012 11:03:03 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>

> I think I'm going to take the plunge with Zen's Fibre Active package.
> I've done a lot of reading but I can't find anywhere answers to my key
> questions - grateful if anyone can fill in the gaps:
>

> 1) Starting at the socket, the Openreach engineer is apparently going to
> swap my faceplate. So what sockets will there be on the new faceplate?
> I've seen images but can't tell if one's now ethernet and the other a
> standard phone jack or if they're two phone jacks (presumably one voice,
> one data?)
>

> 2) The engineer is going to install (I assume this means plug in and go no
> further) a VDSL modem. Let's assume for the moment (see below) I don't
> buy any new equipment. Can I just connect this new VDSL modem to a PC
> (and if so are we talking ethernet or USB?) and have it connect via DHCP?
> This is exactly what happened when I got my first cablemodem before I
> added a router. The reason I ask this is that, with no router in the
> mix, there would have to be a seriously configured software firewall on
> the PC wouldn't there? To connect to the net without NAT is quite risky
> isn't it? Certainly it used to be!

The BT supplied thing is a bridge. Anything you plugin into it has to have an
ethernet WAN port & can do PPPoE. A lot of routers specified for "cable" are
capable of doing this. If you are using the upto 80 meg service, you may want
to consider a faster, more beefier router.

> 3) Zen want to sell me an appropriate router (which is understandable) but
> I do (somewhere!) have my old cable router i.e. the one I used to attach
> to my Virgin cable modem at my old house - I'm assuming I could use this
> couldn't I?

If it's cheap or next to free grab it. Your old cable modem (unless it's the
balck d-link DIR615) wont be upto the job all that well.

> 4) My Sky box needs the phone line and at present it's connected to an
> extension of this line via a standard ADSL microfilter - any issues here?

Should be fine, I believe there is still a standard PSTN available too.

> 5) A ten fold speed increase for just over a fiver more than I'm currently
> paying per month (and Zen have been excellent IMHO) sounds a good deal -
> does anyone have any reservations about VDSL?

Only one. My whole city has it, and surrounding streets. Just not mine, so I'm
jealous. Enjoy! Now BT have removed BRAS profiles, you will experience the
better side of it (hopefully).

> Cheers
>
> Rob

Ian