Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment

Author: Daniel Llewellyn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment
On Jan 1, 2012 11:03 AM, "Rob Malpass" <linux@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>

> I think I'm going to take the plunge with Zen's Fibre Active package.

I've done a lot of reading but I can't find anywhere answers to my key
questions - grateful if anyone can fill in the gaps:

> 1) Starting at the socket, the Openreach engineer is apparently going to

swap my faceplate. So what sockets will there be on the new faceplate?
I've seen images but can't tell if one's now ethernet and the other a
standard phone jack or if they're two phone jacks (presumably one voice,
one data?)

They're both phone jacks, one a bt standard and the other an American
standard for data.

> 2) The engineer is going to install (I assume this means plug in and go

no further) a VDSL modem. Let's assume for the moment (see below) I don't
buy any new equipment. Can I just connect this new VDSL modem to a PC
(and if so are we talking ethernet or USB?) and have it connect via DHCP?
This is exactly what happened when I got my first cablemodem before I added
a router. The reason I ask this is that, with no router in the mix, there
would have to be a seriously configured software firewall on the PC
wouldn't there? To connect to the net without NAT is quite risky isn't
it? Certainly it used to be!

You require a pppoe capable device or software.

> 3) Zen want to sell me an appropriate router (which is understandable)

but I do (somewhere!) have my old cable router i.e. the one I used to
attach to my Virgin cable modem at my old house - I'm assuming I could use
this couldn't I?

Depending on the age of the router you may find it limited to 11mbps lan to
wan throughput

> 4) My Sky box needs the phone line and at present it's connected to an

extension of this line via a standard ADSL microfilter - any issues here?

Adsl microfilters are obsolete with the vdsl system, with the filtering
done at the faceplate. The extension may be an issue.

> 5) A ten fold speed increase for just over a fiver more than I'm

currently paying per month (and Zen have been excellent IMHO) sounds a good
deal - does anyone have any reservations about VDSL?

Nope :-)

> Cheers
>
> Rob

Sent from a mobile device.