Re: [Hampshire] "Big" storage

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Big" storage
On 27 December 2011 21:35, Rob Malpass <linux@???> wrote:

> Hi all****
>
> ** **
>
> I'm wondering if I'm "missing a trick" here - perhaps someone can help...*
> ***
>
> ** **
>
> I have a pretty big (already 2TB and likely to be nearer 4TB+ by the time
> I've finished) media library (all mpgs) - how should I be making this
> available over my network? Does anyone know of a device that will allow
> (for example) 6 USB devices (all HDDs) to be connected and shared as if
> they were one? Googling reveals something called a Belkin network usb hub
> but the reviews are awful.****

A couple of solutions spring to mind:

- FreeNAS (BSD, not Linux) with a cheap desktop PC that has 6 USB ports
or buy a PCI USB2 card. FreeNAS has a great, easy-to-use web GUI and is
well supported with documentation, community support etc.
- Something like Debian on a low-power device like a SheevaPlug + 6-port
USB2 hub. Then share via Samba/NFS as needed (or UPnP with Mediatomb). I
found Samba to be great solution because of the ease of support with mixed
clients of XBMC, Windows and Linux laptops.

> ** **
>
> I can't be the only one with a huge DVD and video library

Nope, I have several XBMC systems and almost 1TB of media :-) If you have
optical disc copies of your DVDs you could save some more space by
converting them to a newer compressed video format like mp4.

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)