Re: [Hampshire] Linux Answers

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux Answers
On 24/12/11 18:37, alan c wrote:
> On 22/12/11 21:28, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:17:07 +0000, aeclist@??? said:
>>
>>> real
>>> people using GNU/Linux operating systems.
>>
>> Nobody outside geekdom uses GNU/Linux: they use Linux
>
> You are pretty well correct in this, the cause is probably already
> lost. Any number of usages and public definitions exist which call the
> complete operating system 'Linux'. Even IBM used this term alone when
> it marketed its early products as far as I have seen. The marketing
> culture has a lot to answer for - including Windows .....

> I am a pragmatic GNU Linux user, I use Ubuntu which contains plenty of
> very non free stuff.

Linux is an OS and a kernel, they are the same thing. The OS interfaces
with the hardware, GNU tools are in user land and interface with the OS.
Most people don't need to know what an OS or kernel is and use Linux to
mean a complete desk top or server system. When FSF talk about their GNU
OS which includes Linux and X, they lose credibility when they have done
so much to promote free software or open source.

John.