Re: [Hampshire] Help, please! Databases and computer archite…

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Help, please! Databases and computer architecture.
From my days as a Computer Science student, my approach would be to ask
students in the years ahead of me (eg. Year 2 and 3). If the course has a
mentorship scheme they would be the guys to ask first. Also, try asking the
lecturer of the courses in question. If the department has a dedicated
library then try asking the librarian also.

Strange there is no recommended reading list - I remember those from my
course quite clearly. I would scan the Comp Sci. dept noticeboard for 2nd
years selling their books for the previous years courses and pick them up
on the cheap.

On 27 November 2011 18:09, Chris. Aubrey-Smith <cas194@???> wrote:

> Dear Fellow LUGers,
>
> My grandson has just started a Computer Science course. He writes:
>
> "I'm having trouble finding good/reliable/relevant books on database
> development and computer architecture. My database module doesn't really
> suggest any material and I can't choose between the architecture books. Do
> you have any suggestions?"
> This is a bit outside my confidence zone, so I'd be glad to receive any
> comments or suggestions.
>
> Chris
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)