Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to re…

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to recentWin-SBS?

> One of the support company's arguments for offering only PPTP was that
> our available bandwidth is too low to allow too many other machines to
> have VPN access.

If that is really their position[1], then you need to get some sort of SSh
server inside the network.

This allows you to get file-level or command-line-level access to your
systems; the conventional Windows admin method involves running RDP over
PPTP or similar, and sending a graphical desktop involves much more
bandwidth use than just the files you're actually interested in...

Vic.

[1] it almost certainly isn't; this is the sort of thing I usually see
rolled out when a Windows admin is simply too far out of his comfort zone
to accept something different to what he's used in the past :-(