Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to rec…

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS torecent Win-SBS?
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to recent Win-SBS?
On 17 November 2011 13:15, Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has done this.
>
> I can easily get a VPN from by desktop PC using the NetworkManager
> applet, but the server is headless, so no applet.
>
> I've now tried a whole load of different 'this is how to do PPTP to
> Windows' articles and howtos, but none seem to quite get there.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find a guide that works?

PPTP is kind of nasty. On a level of 0 to 10, with 0 being no security
to 10 being very secure, PPTP would score 0.
I would recommend IPSEC but I have really bad experiences with
anything talking to the Windows implementation of IPSEC.
For example, Linux, Juniper, Cisco and most firewalls that support
IPSEC VPNs fail to work to a Windows machine.
The IPSEC connection works, but as soon as a rekey happens it all falls apart.
We even had a paid 24x7 support contract direct with Microsoft, and
they still refused to fix it.
In summary, do not use windows for any sort of VPN endpoint. The
support you get if it does not work is crap.
I would make sure the company put in a purpose built VPN gateway so
that people can connect with normal VPN clients, such as CISCO,
JUNIPER, Checkpoint etc.
There are very cheap VPN boxes out there from about £50 upwards, and
they actually work!

James