Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to rec…

Author: Gordon Scott
To: jan, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to recent Win-SBS?
On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 14:35 +0000, Jan Henkins wrote:

> Have you considered trying OpenVPN? Unfortunately it means that you will
> have to install a client on the Windows side of things, but OpenVPN is in
> the standard repositories for Ubuntu.

Yes, but without the OpenVPN client at the Windoze end, which might be
the problem.

> > Does anyone know where I can find a guide that works?
>
> Here is one that looks good:
>
> http://library.linode.com/networking/openvpn/ubuntu-10.04-lucid
>
> Pay close attention to the certification parts and make sure you don't
> miss out steps.

It's certainly a more complete guide than most^H^H^H^H any other I've
seen. I'll be exploring my way through it.

> Just to be clear, under no circumstances can I recommend that you use
> PPTP, it is simply too insecure. Yes, PPP does have some form of
> encryption that can be switched on, and while it's one step up from
> sending stuff in clear-text (I exaggerate, but PPTP is baaaaad), you don't
> want to have to rely on that.

Unfortunately pptp is what's on offer. The whole system there is managed
by an outside company and they don't understand anything except Windoze
and maybe some Mac. They're pretty good at what they do, but I get
'rabbits in the headlights' looks if I mention Linux. I have been
looking at putting in a Linux box alongside and doing IPsec rather than
pptp, though I'm not sure how well the rabbits would take to the idea.

ATB,
    Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott            www.gscott.co.uk