[Hampshire] Max OS HD image

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Max OS HD image
Hi,

I have a friend who has messed up and re-installed a factory default
Mac OS X and therefore lost all their photos.
I have offered to help.
I will be taking a sector exact copy of the Mac OS X hard disk. (using dd)
What tools are there available in Linux to read this Mac OS X disk
image and maybe recover a picture or two?

Essentually, I will be doing a scan of the un-used sectors of the
disk, as all the allocated sectors will just contain the Mac OS X
files.
Fortunately, I only have to recover .JPG files. I am not interested in
any music or other videos they might have had.
I am a little concerned that the Mac OS also supports compressiong at
the filesystem level, so that might cause problems.

Kind Regards

James