Re: [Hampshire] Max OS HD image

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Max OS HD image
On 24 October 2011 17:23, Benjie Gillam <benjie@???> wrote:
> I've had a lot of luck with TestDisk[1] in the past (mostly for recovering
> images from flash memory cards where the user has accidentally done delete
> all instead of delete!), but it doesn't claim to support recovering files
> from HFS+ filesystems. Personally, I'd give it a go anyway and see what it's
> like. There's many other file recovery tools out there but I can't vouch for
> them personally.
> You can install hfsutils and mount hfs+ disks under Linux quite easily.
> You'll need something along the lines of the following to mount it:
>     mount -o loop -t hfs image.dd /mnt/
>
> It might be 'hfsplus' that you need.
> Cheers,
> Benjie.
> [1] http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

The problem is I am not interested in the mounting of the device.
What the user has done is this:
1) Had a working system with all their pictures on it.
2) Put in the Mac OS X setup disk.
3) setup disk formats the system. equivalent of mkfs
4) setup disk installs OS files.

I want to get at the pictures, which means I wish to examine any parts
of the disk that have managed to escape the mkfs and the install of OS
files. So, essentially scan free space.

I am expecting that I will have to write my own recovery program, but
just wanted to check here first.

Kind Regards

James