Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3

Top Page
Author: Damian L Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gnome 3

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x570d3100.hantslug.org.uk.21664': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Oct 18 16:10:42 2011 BST
gpg: using RSA key E5B6AC918A7E551C
Hi John

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 14:57 +0100, john lewis wrote:
> I logged out and restarted with gnome 3,
>
> First impressions - UGH!

> I guess I can get used to the changes but I'm not a happy bunny ;-(

I started using Fedora 15 in June, with Gnome 3. The visual appeal is
immediate. Very clean looks and clear views. I think the adage "less is
more" motivates the design.

I too, found it hard to use, initially. Modification / customisation is
not easy either. Tools and information reside in unexpected places.
Minimisation and window management has changed significantly enough, so
that without enough time to adjust - the interface feels cumbersome.

After a few weeks, speed of desktop use was improving and beginning to
overtake that of a traditional layout. Or to put it another way, the
"less is more" approach streamlines the user experience where the
computer does more of the operating, than it used to.

For example; the ability to read partial amounts of information in all
windows, at the same time, equals less time using the 'Alt-Tab' key
combination. The interface attempts to capitalise on the current
location of your 'workflow', so that you are closest to the most recent
thought pattern locality. For example mouse travel distances can be
shorter.

Over time, the computer is working harder for the user, with Gnome 3.

The interface is still new and there are plenty of bugs to iron out.

Best
Damian

--
Interlinux Engineering Foundation http://www.interlinux.org.uk

Central, non-trading, administration, governance and dissemination of
foundation intellectual property and know-how.

GPG 8A7E551C