Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones
Hello Paul,

On Wed, October 5, 2011 15:03, Paul Tansom wrote:
> An iPhone simply won't fit my requirements, however popular they are.
> This
> whole process started when I got a 3 USB dongle for my netbook some time
> back. I was quite impressed by the network coverage, and could get my
> netbook connected on 3 where my phone failed to get a signal on Orange.
> This could be
> down to the phone of course (my old Nokia 7110 used to get a decent signal
> on Vodafone where my Erricson T230 completely failed on the same network).
> When I
> looked into switching I found I couldn't as my phone is not compatible (no
> 3g).
> That started the thought process.
>

> The next trigger was Laura tweeting about GiffGaff, which got me thinking
> again as their costings are pretty good - even better than my Orange PAYG
> package which is much cheaper than anything they offer now (12p instead of
> 25p per
> minute and 10p instead of 15p texts, etc.). Of course if I upgrade before
> abandoning Orange it makes the phone cheaper, and having inclusive data
> will start me looking at internet usage on the phone.
>
> The other prompting trigger is plans to drop one of my land lines and
> switch it to VOIP, so a SIP client on my phone would be handy too (and I
> really need to check if GiffGaff block this!).

Sorry to bang on about the OSF, but your scenario looks like it could be
handled perfectly well by the OSF. It's quick and free to unlock once you
have it (I use mine on Vodafone's TalkMobile reseller). It has it all. The
only downer would be that you have to spend some time on it to install an
Android distro based on 2.3 (Gingerbread) in order to get the cool
wireless sharing stuff going, because the crippled Orange Android disables
that. If you are cost-sensitive (I'm not, I'm just cheap), this is your
phone! :-) £99 is hard to beat for a brand new smartphone.

Note to self, give GiffGaff another look-see...

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins