Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones
On 10/03/2011 05:24 PM, Paul Tansom wrote:
> A bit of a vague subject, but I'm looking at the possibility of finally getting
> a smartphone and at the moment the HTC Wildfire S and the Samsung Galaxy Ace
> are looking to be fairly decent entry level options. Has anyone any experience
> of these? I've seen some comments that the HTC can be a bit slow with the
> 600MHz processor, and the Galaxy is only 800MHz. Clearly it depends on how well
> they are designed to some extent, but both run Android (so I assume should be
> good with Linux). I think the Ace is the front runner at the moment for the
> better screen and marginally faster processor.
>
> As for usage, which will define whether performance is an issue to some extent,
> I will no doubt use it for web and email, but calendaring and a SIP client are
> of particular interest (clearly I need the right network to not block SIP
> traffic!). I'm not a bit gamer on my phone, but then I only have a Samsung G600
> at the moment, so who knows with a smartphone!

I've recently gone for a Motorola Defy, which has excellent screen
resolution (480x854 I think) and is slightly 'ruggedised'. It handles
Google Navigation and Angry Birds very well. You can avoid using
Motorola's 'Motoblur' thing that allegedly steals^H^H^H^H^H backs-up all
your information and eats into your data allowance.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???