Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones

Author: Martin N
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones
Lo,

At 17:24 03/10/2011, you wrote:
>A bit of a vague subject, but I'm looking at the possibility of
>finally getting
>a smartphone and at the moment the HTC Wildfire S and the Samsung Galaxy Ace
>are looking to be fairly decent entry level options. Has anyone any experience
>of these? I've seen some comments that the HTC can be a bit slow with the
>600MHz processor, and the Galaxy is only 800MHz. Clearly it depends
>on how well
>they are designed to some extent, but both run Android (so I assume should be
>good with Linux). I think the Ace is the front runner at the moment for the
>better screen and marginally faster processor.
>
>As for usage, which will define whether performance is an issue to
>some extent,
>I will no doubt use it for web and email, but calendaring and a SIP client are
>of particular interest (clearly I need the right network to not block SIP
>traffic!). I'm not a bit gamer on my phone, but then I only have a
>Samsung G600
>at the moment, so who knows with a smartphone!

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-3/302006-pre-3-thoughts-after-2-days.html#post3189009

Pre3 has Linux running underneath and can be seen when booting up if you use
an alpha kernel to over clock.

Nice phone but of course HP have stopped developing it.
You would have to decide if it does what you want with the apps that
are available
on the App catalog and on precentral home brew community.

Martin N

Running MorphOS v2.6 (Nov 2010) on Mac Mini, Moderator of
MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups