Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Thermaltake "Tsunami" Tower Case

Author: Jacqui Caren-home
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Thermaltake "Tsunami" Tower Case
On 29/09/2011 18:16, Rob Malpass wrote:
> As ever, it's a case of not wanting to spend good money after bad. All fans seem to be working and I've never had a problem in any case I've built a PC in before so I'm just wondering if this case is
> flawed somehow. Nothing crops up on Google but it is a bit old now so that's not surprising.
>
> Any ideas anyone?

Is the PSU AOK?
Is the CPU paste "gone"?
Is the heatsink well seated?
Is the heatsink clean - I stick a pencil into the fan and blow the heatsick clean with an air line.
Even then the muck eventually builds up in the bottom of the h/sink and it ends up being replaced
at least once in a machines life.
Have you checked for "blown caps"?
When the machine dies, unplug and open the case - look and smell - if it is a blown cap in the PSU or mobo you *will* be able to smell it.
Is there anything in the logs?

Do you have anything running monitoring the CPU temp etc?

Jacqui

p.s. not relevant, but funny :-)
At cray we had a machine crash overnight every weeknight. We installed a "ping" that overwrote a logfile
with the current timestamp ever thirty seconds complete with system stats.
We eventually found out it was a security guard who was slamming office doors during his nightly rounds.
The machine in question was on a desk next to the door snd the "slam" was enough to know the disk out of alignment and cause a kpanic.
It was a sun3 so disks were slower and far more delicate in those days.