Re: [Hampshire] Multiple Wifi access points acting as one.

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Multiple Wifi access points acting as one.
On 12 September 2011 19:56, Bob Dunlop <bob.dunlop@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Meru networks make it so that you can roam about from AP to AP without
>> the client PC having to do anything.
>
> Looks like someone selling snake oil to me.
>
> Doubt if it's needed even in an industrial environment if your sysadmin
> knows what he's doing.  Definitely overkill for the domestic environment.
>
> I've got two Open-WRT based routers to cover our large house.  They share
> the same SSID and are connected to different parts of the wired network
> about 60m apart.  Only one is configured to perform DHCP and DNS dutys.
>
> Walk between them and your laptop/phone/fondle slab just switches
> seemlessly* between them.  Isn't that the way WiFi is supposed to work ?
>
> When I set it up I didn't even consider there might be a problem.
>

> * Okay, so I get a <1s pause in data while switching, most streaming apps
> have enough buffer to cope with that.

Hi,

I tried what you describe. The client hardly ever uses the best AP for
their position in the house,
Also, it leaves the client to decide which AP to use.
It is much better for the central device to decide when to switch from
one AP to another.
This is one of the reasons why Mobile phone networks are much more
efficient than Wifi.

Kind Regards

James