[Hampshire] Multiple Wifi access points acting as one.

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Multiple Wifi access points acting as one.
Hi,

Is there any open source software to have features similar to:
http://www.lever.co.uk/meru_wireless_networks.html?gclid=CPiX-cCRmKsCFW4KtAodRgGmwg

Meru networks make it so that you can roam about from AP to AP without
the client PC having to do anything.
I have a friend who has a very large house so they will probably need
about 4-5 APs to give good coverage.
The trouble with multiple APs is that you either have to name each one
a different name, and have the client attach to each one as they move,
or purchase an expensive solution like Meru networks.

Just to clarify, sorry for naming Meru networks, I don't work for
them. I am just using them as an example of a solution that I have
actually seen working, so their web site is not power point slides
only.

Their technology is fairly simple. All APs run on the same channel.
Instead of each AP doing the work of wpa_supplicant, all received
wireless packets are encapsilated, in their encrypted form, and sent
to a central server.
The encapsilation contains:
1) AP the packet was received at.
2) Strength of signal of the received packet.
3) The encrypted packet - as it is on the air.

The central server then takes measurements and then decrypts the
packet centrally and forwards it on.
When a packet needs to get from the central site to the client PC, the
central server decides, based on the received packets, which is the
best AP to transmit from to get to the client.

Regards

James