Re: [Hampshire] Slightly OT - "Firewall Server"

Author: Ian Grody
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Slightly OT - "Firewall Server"
Hey

On Wednesday 07 September 2011 18:30:48 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>

> A simple question: What is a firewall server? I've not heard of this
> term before.
>

> Is it:
>
> a) A pretty low spec server that's not got much processing power beyond
> that required to run ipcop or something similar?
>
> b) Something else

Either

It's basically a firewall/router/gateway system that also offers supplementary
services more than just the usual uPnP, web & telnet interfaces. Things like
VPN gateway/server, anti-virus proxies, email content checking, intrusion
detection/prevention etc. are all added in.

There are other similar names, they are just like candy and sweets, soda, pop
& ginger. More common name now is Unified Threat Management (UTM).

CyberGuard is part of Juniper, who make some impressive kit. IPCop is complete
childsplay to the software that normally comes with these.

> I anticipate it will have more than one NIC but if I was looking for a
> really low spec server (or a few of them of identical physical dimensions)
> as I am at the moment, what's to stop me buying [1]?

Nothing? :-p

Will pee right over anything you'll get from Curry's or the like for the same
price.