Re: [Hampshire] Slightly OT - "Firewall Server"

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Slightly OT - "Firewall Server"
** Rob Malpass <linux@???> [2011-09-07 18:32]:
> A simple question: What is a firewall server? I've not heard of this term
> before.
>
> Is it:
>
> a) A pretty low spec server that's not got much processing power beyond that
> required to run ipcop or something similar?
>
> b) Something else
>
> I anticipate it will have more than one NIC but if I was looking for a
> really low spec server (or a few of them of identical physical dimensions)
> as I am at the moment, what's to stop me buying [1]?
>
> [1]
> http://www.speedie.co.uk/rackmount-pentium-4-c-25_37_83/cyberguard-fs250-500
> -firewall-server-p-93

** end quote [Rob Malpass]

a) sounds about right, although depending on the target market the 'low spec'
bit may vary! By the looks of this one it seems likely to be one of these [1]
(sorry for the massive link!). It would originally have come with a custom
firewall OS (possibly a customised Linux or BSD install, I've no experience of
these. The one in the photo looks like the 500 model which quotes 6 ethernet
interfaces, so the card in the single slot appears to be a multi-port ethernet
card (in addition to the two on board). I'm assuming, given the limited spec
details and fact that these are second user machines, that specs may vary!!

Things I would consider with a box like this are how you may want to expand it.
It looks like a 1U case, so you the PSU is not going to be a standard ATX (in
terms of dimensions anyway), and there will likely be limited space for fitting
an HD, possibly only room for one. You will only fit a single add on card in
there (PCI at a guess).

I've got some 2U rack cases I'm trying to work with and am trying to decide
whether they are worth it. I have nicer PSUs, but they are standard ATX, and
one of the motherboards I have fitted in fails to line up to use both of the
add on card slots, which is a pain as it has no onboard graphics and it is the
AGP slot that doesn't line up - not to mention that I was planning to fit
another card in there.

You may also find it difficult to install an OS, another project I have is an
old Cobalt Raq which seems as though it will be too much effort to get running
the way I want - although there is a custom version of IPCop or similar
available.

[1] https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:qDLOE5UTUiAJ:www.digi-link.com.hk/datasheet/firewall/cyberguard/fs250_500.pdf+CyberGuard+FS250&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShrVcwxO76pgEt89DZJEMEmohxbKr6JniED4wOPn0ktnGStSNdgwtvLF2oOwXh1iuYuUIvyFTl9e1aWkfA5JW6xdk-u1fsHuSpZsjAU2uoqKjdo-0-Z-y4FZpguKS3wQo4WZUHz&sig=AHIEtbQMdmDGXtzcR99Jq-IMLFr7uzZdaw

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: