Re: [Hampshire] Captive portal

Author: Ian Grody
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Captive portal
pfSense & m0n0wall both have VERY capable captive portals.

Both free/opensource downloads.

These are FreeBSD based firewall/router distros. pfSense 2.0 has a superior
captive portal to 1.2.3 & more features.

I have never used m0n0walls, but have heard it is good. pfSense's i can vouch
for and use myself. It can either use a radius server for authing users, or
the builtin user database. It has a whole host of other features too. MAC
filtering, limited users per-mac, tokens, PHP support for your own content etc.
All the usual fancy stuff you expect to find.

Chillispot and what not I find quite complex and means you have to fumble
around with firewalls etc. too. pfSense's Just Works(tm).

pfSense can also be your wireless AP too, if you use a support wifi card
(atheros & zydas are most reliable). Should run on pretty much any 586 class
and better PC. Even the old alixboards.

Hope this helps..

Ian