Re: [Hampshire] NIS Client Curiosities

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NIS Client Curiosities
Hello Tim,

This sounds like a PAM issue. Have a look at how things are stacked, since it is very order-sensitive.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins

Tim Brocklehurst <timb@???> wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a strange problem... I have a machine which acts as a login node for a downstream network. This machine repeats the NIS server capabilities of the master (upstream) server. It should also provide correct NIS usernames, groups and passwords. Here's the problem: Users can log onto this box with the correct password, but once logged on they cannot use the groups defined in nis. That is to say, groups <username> returns "users" when it is meant to return a whole list. The downstream machines are fine, as are some other machines at the same level in the topology (the other machine with this problem is showing the exact same symptoms). The machine affected is running SLES11. Editing users via Yast shows the full group lists. In /etc/nsswitch I have tried "group: compat" and "group: nis files" which has made no difference. I have the appropriate lines added to /etc/passwd and /etc/group. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks, Tim B. -- OpenPilot
- Open-source Marine Chart Plotter openDynamics - Open-source Vessel Motions Calculation Lead Developer http://openpilot.sourceforge.net http://opendynamics.engineering.selfip.org -- Please post to: Hampshire@??? Web Interface: https://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/hampshire LUG URL: http://www.hantslug.org.uk_____________________________________________