[Hampshire] NIS Client Curiosities

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] NIS Client Curiosities
Ladies and gentlemen,

I have a strange problem... I have a machine which acts as a login node
for a downstream network. This machine repeats the NIS server capabilities
of the master (upstream) server. It should also provide correct NIS
usernames, groups and passwords.

Here's the problem: Users can log onto this box with the correct password,
but once logged on they cannot use the groups defined in nis. That is to
say, groups <username> returns "users" when it is meant to return a whole
list.

The downstream machines are fine, as are some other machines at the same
level in the topology (the other machine with this problem is showing the
exact same symptoms). The machine affected is running SLES11. Editing
users via Yast shows the full group lists.

In /etc/nsswitch I have tried "group: compat" and "group: nis files" which
has made no difference. I have the appropriate lines added to /etc/passwd
and /etc/group.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks,

Tim B.

--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
openDynamics - Open-source Vessel Motions Calculation