Re: [Hampshire] Gallery software

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gallery software
As a long term Gallery user (& customiser), I thought that I should
throw in my 2p worth.

Gallery 2.
The latest version is 2.3.
If it isn't in your distro's repository the tarball is easily
downloadable from the Gallery site.
V2.3 is the last major release of the V2.x codebase. AFAIK, only
bugfixes from now on.

Gallery 3
   This is a major revision of the gallery software.
    Again if V3 is not in your repo the gallery site will provide all
you need.
    The UI for V3 is quite different from V2. Some people have switched
back to V2.
    You can import many V2 customisations right into V3.

For those who don't know.
Gallery is a php app (set of scripts) that sit on top of a database. I
prefer MySql.
It is easily managed via the admin web pages once installed.
Many ISP's and Hosting companies provide Gallery in their packages.
It can be extensively customised. Some of the examples are beautiful and
don't look like photo galleries at all.

Stephen D