Re: [Hampshire] Connection refused even though Sendmail is r…

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Connection refused even though Sendmail is running
On 19/01/2011 11:27, Victor Churchill wrote:
> victor@ss07:~$ telnet phoenix 25
> Trying 192.168.11.199...
>
> I haven't done anything explicit to do with firewalling on the phoenix
> server.
> I can see other services the server is running such as ssh and http
> from the neighbouring machines. Just not the SMTP port.
>
> Any comments on what I should be looking for?

Have you tried the firewall? (iptables -L). I know that fedora usually
ships with a hole already punched for ssh, possibly the install for
httpd put a hole in for that too? (or it comes with a hole by default in
centos).

The other thing to check is that sendmail isn't bound to localhost only,
I'm not a sendmail expert but you need to either be bound to every
address 0.0.0.0 or the external IP to be able to see the service.

try:

netstat -n | grep 25

to see if it is only listening on localhost.