Re: [Hampshire] Connection refused even though Sendmail is r…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Connection refused even though Sendmail is running
Thank you everyone!

sendmail.mc was indeed restricted to 127.0.0.1.
I have changed the DAEMON_OPTIONS line and restarted sendmail.
I can now connect to the service with 'telnet phoenix 25' from my desktop.

However... (there is always a 'however', isn't there )-;

Mails to this server from outside get bounced with 'relaying denied'. This
happens sending both from GMail and from a remote server ssh session on a
different system. The latter gives more info:
:
<qg@???>
    (reason: 550 5.7.1 <qg@???>... Relaying denied)

... while talking to victor.shacknet.nu.:
>>> DATA

<<< 550 5.7.1 <qg@???>... Relaying denied
550 5.1.1 <qg@???>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

( victor.shacknet.nu is a free dynamic DNS mapping from dyndns.com which
currently points to 81.109.243.248. Sending mail direct to qg@that IP has
the same result.)

I will Google for 'relaying denied' before crying for help!

thanks
victor
--
best regards,