Re: [Hampshire] [sort-of-OT] Advice for (geeky) broadband pr…

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [sort-of-OT] Advice for (geeky) broadband provider
I'm with Virgin Media (Upper Shirley), here's my stats: [1] 50.61 down, 1.63
up, 18ms ping.

<http://www.speedtest.net/result/1109498167.png>It's worth pointing out that
VM are already rolling out 100Mb (and are even testing 200Mb in some places)
and they're also increasing the upload rate (50Mb down will get 5Mb up
instead of current 1.6, 100Mb down will get 10Mb up). They're a pain in the
ass from the point of customer service ([2] -- they didn't even believe I
already had cable, despite demonstrating it! Took 2 weeks to get an engineer
out to "fit" it.) but the technician was fast and knowledgeable and I've not
had any issues. They don't have static IPs, BUT your IP doesn't change much
(hasn't changed for me except when I manually performed a DHCP release from
the router). The service itself is great, but from what I've heard if you
have problems then Flying Spaghetti Monster help you! :)

It's a fibre backbone to the street "cabinet", and then copper cable from
there to the home. Seems to work well - having a 100 metre copper cable is
nowhere near as bad as a 3-8km one!

[1] http://www.speedtest.net/result/1109498167.png
[2] http://www.benjiegillam.com/2010/10/dear-virgin-media/

Benjie.